In the case of gynecological ultrasound of the bladder and prostate, 0,5 liter of liquids for example water should be drunk prior the test as the patient is required to report with a full bladder.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is based on the magnetic properties of atoms of which the human body is composed of. The survey results illustrate the cross-section of the internal organs in all planes, thereby providing the physician with precise information on the location, size and composition of the examined tissues of the body.
Recommendations for research:
• not required to change their drug treatment (must take medication as used),
• it is recommended to remain four hours without a meal prior to the test,
• do not drink coffee before the test,
• remove jewelry, glasses, hearing aid and dentures,
• do not apply makeup before the test,
• do not bring into the MRI room any credit cards or watches,
• empty the bladder before the test, unless indicated to have a filled bladder for the test.
CT scan test (CT) may relate to the selected part and/ or the whole body. The test duration is between a few seconds to tens of seconds.
Thanks to the tomography test transverse images are obtained of the human body without surgical intervention. It is suggested that:
• 5 hours before the test to remain fasting, and 3 hours before the test not to drink any fluids,
• Persons taking medications should take them as usual,
• In the case of CT scans of the abdomen and pelvis, contrast agent aqueous solution or water is administered orally. For this test Patients submit themselves minimum one hour before the scheduled date of the test and bring with themselves 1.5 liters of still mineral water,
• For the test, please wear comfortable, loose clothing without metal decorations or accessories.
X-ray examination emits harmful for the body X-rays, therefore before the test remember a few basic guidelines:
1. A break since the last test must be long enough,
2. It is not recommended to carry out the test on women who are pregnant,
3. Persons up to the age of 18 are more vulnerable than adults to the absorption of the rays, that is why the frequency of testing should be kept to a minimum,
4. In some cases it is required to remain fasting,
5. Before the lumbosacral spine X-ray test a light diet should be applied the day before, preferably consume liquid foods without fiber and attend test day fasting.
Preparation for laboratory testing
To get the results of the highest clinical utility, the following rules should be applied:
- Sampling must be made in the morning, the optimal time is between 7 and 9 am,
- the Patient should report to the test on an empty stomach, that is, to abstain from food for about 12 hours; before the test the Patient may be allowed a small amount of water,
- patient should not drink alcohol and limit intake of stimulants (eg coffee) 2-3 days before the test,
- if the doctor recommends otherwise, sampling should be performed before the ingestion of the morning portion of drugs,
- 30 minutes before the test, the Patient should remain at rest (sitting position),
- Urine for general testing should be acquired:
- after the morning toilet,
- after the first morning micturition (if there was a need to urinate at night – the most useful sample is of the minimum 4-6 hours bladder retention),
- mid-stream in a volume of about 50ml (the first portion rejected, sample, the rest rejected); urine must be returned in a disposable plastic container; children urine is collected into a special bag (can be purchased at the pharmacy),
- daily urine collection (DZM) should begin the day before the test, rejection of the first micturition after the night, and each subsequent portion of the urine should be collected in a plastic container, DZM must be completed the next day with a portion of urine from the night; in certain cases DZM must be acidified.